Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Great Garden Cover Up

I've been keeping a secret. It's not a secret that could make any real impact on the world, really. Some of my family and friends already have some inkling of what's been going on around here. The honest truth is that I've been growing things...edible things.

I've taken photos with every intention of writing blog posts and telling you all about what's been going on in the garden, but to be completely honest, I have felt guilty. My mom's shower froze in Ohio last week, for goodness sake. My sister-in-law has been enduring shocking below-freezing temperatures, too. My former exchange student, who spent the Christmas and New Year holidays with us, visited friends in Michigan, and let's just say that had I been the one going through what she experienced, I'd be a little cranky right now. When she wasn't enduring canceled trains and flights, she was coping with significantly delayed trains and flights. I covered my plants for two nights. And, in the interest of full disclosure, I wasn't covering kale or leeks, which are known for their ability to endure the cold. I was covering tomatoes and pineapples.

In short, I've felt a bit like a phony.

Preparing for the cold

There are a lot of people who like to flaunt the mild Florida temperatures to others who are suffering in colder climes. In my mind, they're a bit like people who talk smack about their football teams. It's a language I've never understood. Recently, I mistakenly replied to a message to all family members, in which I merely cheered for my home state's football team. I received the most incredibly rude response from one person, which has led me to decide that I simply won't communicate my desire to see a particular football team win anymore. I see no cause to beat someone's hope or joy into submission, but it seems I may be in the minority. Though I'm fluent in German, "Schadenfreude" has no meaning to me. And so I've remained silent about what's been happening in my garden.

But then it occurred to me today that summer in Florida is very much like winter nearly everywhere else (and vice versa). In summer, I can't grow anything but jalapeƱos, if I'm lucky. Yet I derive the greatest pleasure in seeing the ebullient posts from others who are celebrating their first tomatoes of the season in July when I fear I may wither from the heat. The fact that any of us can drop something akin to a speck of dirt into the soil and ultimately find sustenance from it is nothing short of a miracle to me, and it's something to be celebrated, no matter the time of year. I wish that every one of us could, regardless of space, attempt to grow a little something that we could harvest and share with family or friends and experience the great pride and deep honor that comes with knowing that we've been part of a miracle. Perhaps it's a good New Year's resolution to try. So now I'm ready to confess.

I had a delicious salad that came solely from my garden the other day.

A bowl full of everything from my garden!
I made preserves of salsa and tomato chutney. I had a delicious lunch of my tomatoes and thyme in a cream sauce, served with buckwheat crepes. I ate a stir-fry that was mostly comprised of my snow peas.

Snow pea stir-fry
I've been eating miracles.

I'm preserving the fruits of my labor this winter, preparing for the harsh Florida summer ahead. I hope it gives all of you in colder areas something to look forward to, a beacon of hope for delicious things to come.

2 comments:

  1. It is hard being in one of the two outlier states with pretty weather while the rest of the country freezes. I didn't want to post any pictures from my hike last week because I was all, let's go hike in the sun and gentle breeze, and the rest of the country was like, POLAR VORTEX.
    But your garden looks beautiful, and you're right - your extreme weather is still to come. Tomato chutney sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tomato chutney recipe (courtesy of the late Ismael Merchant) is divine. And I get to use the pestle and mortar you and Kelly gave me.

      Delete