Thursday, January 1, 2015

A Strong Start

On Saturday morning, I woke up with pizza on my mind. I wanted it for dinner. Sometimes this isn't much of a problem because I often have a few pizza doughs in the freezer, but I knew I had no backups. I'd have to make the dough. Again, this is normally not a problem. But after working the dough, I began dividing it and forming it into balls, and that's when I realized that I had a major problem. My arms hurt, rather badly. One thought immediately filled me with worry--if my arms could be so tired after such an insignificant task, how would I be able to work effectively in the garden once the warm weather returns? Indeed, I am somehow capable of connecting pizza and gardening, which once again underscores just how much this activity has infiltrated my existence. In that moment of panic, though, I resolved to get myself into gardening shape again. I've started a sort of spring training, if you will. It's basically just yoga, but that always makes me really strong.

I've also been moving along with garden preparations. Two more raised planter beds are now in place in the vegetable garden. Five down. Seven to go...and a fence...and doors...and a path.

Just need to level and fill the new beds

I've started seeds, which may seem rather early, but they are for plants that have a very long germination time. In fact, the packet for the Phormium seeds says that germination is variable, between three and six months! I thought it best to get started as soon as possible. Even the Alstroemeria seeds require nine weeks.

The first of many seed trays

Seed starting will be a whole lot easier this year because Santa brought me a massive light stand. I'm taking the enterprise to a whole new level.

A whole lot of seed trays can fit under this thing

And, in keeping with my annual tradition, I pulled my copy of Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle off the bookshelf. I'll be tucking myself into bed with that wonderful book tonight. It has a way of reaffirming my intentions and setting me on the right path. I really can't recommend it highly enough, which is why I've even made a link to it.  Getting it in your hands will that much easier. One might call me pushy, but I do think it has the power to change one's perspective on food for the better. It might just make some non-gardeners think about dropping some seeds into the soil.

Let's get 2015 started right







No comments:

Post a Comment